Primary Children’s Hospital began in 1922 at a Salt Lake City home. By 1952, it had moved to a new building, and in 1977, Primary Children’s and the U signed an agreement to formally establish the hospital as the School of Medicine’s pediatric training site. This allowed more medical specialties to be offered. Today Primary Children’s is jointly affiliated with Intermountain Healthcare and is located on the U campus. It has hundreds of beds, a staff of 3,000, and more than 800 providers—670 of whom are U faculty.
This picture from the 1930s shows Primary Children’s in its humble beginnings at the original location, with children and caregivers gathered around the radio.